The programme comprises the following elements
Please note: for the MPhil programme two core papers will be chosen to take place over the two-years.
A core paper on History, Art and Archaeology, or History and Byzantine Literature during the first two terms of the academic year (comprising two sets of weekly classes), examined on the basis of two 5,000-word essays on topics of their choosing (subject to the approval of their supervisor), submitted at the end of the summer term (Trinity Term).
- History, Art and Archaeology: Late Antiquity
- History, Art and Archaeology: Byzantium
- History and Literature: Late Antiquity
- History and Literature: Byzantium
Except for Papyrology and Artefact Studies, which are usually examined by two 5,000-word essays, the auxiliary discipline papers are taken in pairs, and examined by 90-minute unseen examination, together counting as one advanced option.
- Artefact studies [one of the following: ceramics, metalware, ivories, codices, carved marbles]