My published work includes the books Within Walls: Private Life in the German Democratic Republic (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010; paperback, 2012), which was awarded the Fraenkel Prize in Contemporary History by the Wiener Library, and The Authority of Everyday Objects: A Cultural History of West German Industrial Design (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2004; paperback, 2007).
I have also co-edited seven volumes:
- The Ethics of Seeing: Photography and 20th Century German History (Berghahn, 2017), with Jennifer Evans and Stefan-Ludwig Hoffmann
- Religion, Science and Communism in Cold War Europe (Palgrave, 2016), with Stephen A. Smith
- Heritage in the Modern World: Historical Preservation in International Perspective, Past & Present Supplement 10 (OUP, 2015), with Corey Ross
- Years of Persecution, Years of Extermination: Saul Friedländer and the Future of Holocaust Studies (Continuum, 2010), with Christian Wiese
- Between Mass Death and Individual Loss: The Place of the Dead in Twentieth-Century Germany (Berghahn Books, 2008; pb, 2011), with Alon Confino and Dirk Schumann
- Socialist Modern: East German Everyday Culture and Politics (University of Michigan Press, 2008), with Katherine Pence
- Pain and Prosperity: Reconsidering Twentieth Century German History (Stanford University Press, 2003), with Greg Eghigian
Co-Curator, traveling exhibition and catalogue, Tito in Africa: Picturing Solidarity, Museum of Yugoslavia, Belgrade (June-September 2017), Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford (November 2017-March 2018), Die Wende Museum, Los Angeles (Spring 2019).
Co-Investigator, “Socialism Goes Global: Connecting the Second and Third Worlds,” 4 Year AHRC-Funded Collaborative Grant, with 6 other international institutions, 2014-2018.
I was Chair of the German History Society (2011-2014), and co-edited the journal German History, 2004-2009. Since 2009 I have served on the Editorial Board of Past & Present.
I am Series Editor of New Directions in German History, Berghahn Books, 2012-, and was Series Co-Editor, St Antony’s Series, Palgrave Macmillan 2013-2016.
I was Director of St Antony’s European Studies Centre, 2015-2017
For 2018-2019 I am on a Leverhulme Research Fellowship to finish a book on the remaking of Europe after 1945.