The Oxford History Faculty welcomes applications from suitably qualified applicants for this year’s British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme, for awards to be taken up in September or October 2018. The scheme is designed to “offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship.” Further details and this year’s guidance and FAQs can now be found on the British Academy website at http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships
The new electronic application is available on the British Academy’s new grants system https://britishacademy.flexigrant.com/
Applicants applying to hold fellowships in the History Faculty at Oxford are asked to follow the steps listed below:
1. Consider whether this is the best year for you to make the application. Applicants are now only able to resubmit if they previously reached the second stage of the competition and still otherwise meet the eligibility criteria.
2. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. You must have/expect to have obtained your doctorate by 1 April 2018 and after 1 April 2015, plus you must not have held a permanent academic post. If you applied to the 2015/16 or 2016/17 round, you can only apply again if you reached the second stage and the British Academy invited you to resubmit.
3. Contact your referee for the BA application and ensure that they are willing and able to submit their reference on Flexigrant by 11 October. One referee, usually the external examiner, is required. For guidance on the choice of referee see the FAQs available at http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships Your referee must write in English and must complete the online reference form, rather than submitting their own reference letter. In a change this year, the reference must be submitted online before the application can be submitted to Research Services, by 11 October. (This referee does not need to supply a reference for the internal Faculty deadline.)
4. Ask your Oxford History Faculty mentor to write a reference for the Faculty, confirming that they would be happy to act in this role. References and/or any questions about them should be emailed to email@example.com by noon 29 August 2017.
5. Complete the application on https://britishacademy.flexigrant.com/
6. For the deadline of noon 29 August 2017 email a pdf of your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE DO NOT CLICK SUBMIT UNTIL WE ASK YOU TO DO SO
7. Your application will then be considered by a member of the Faculty’s review panel for this scheme and further guidance will be sent to you.
8. The final British Academy deadline is 18 October but at Oxford all applications must first be approved by the Faculty and then submitted to Research Services for their deadline of 11 October.