The Oxford History Faculty welcomes applications from suitably qualified applicants for this year’s British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme, for awards to be taken up in September or October 2019. The scheme is designed to “offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship. The primary emphasis is on completion of a significant piece of publishable research”.
Further details can be found on the British Academy website at http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships
The new electronic application is expected to become available on the British Academy’s grants system https://britishacademy.flexigrant.com/ on 22 August 2018.
Applicants applying to hold fellowships in the History Faculty at Oxford are asked to follow the steps listed below:
- Consider whether this is the best year for you to make the application. Applicants are now only able to resubmit if invited to do so (usually only if they have reached the second stage of the competition) and still otherwise meet the eligibility criteria.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. You must usually have/expect to have obtained your doctorate by 1 April 2019 and after 1 April 2016, plus you must not have held a permanent academic post.
- Identify and approach a potential Oxford History Faculty mentor. Ask your Oxford History Faculty mentor to write a reference for the Faculty, commenting on the fit with the Faculty (resources; clusters of research strength, etc.) and supplying a succinct critical appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of the draft proposal. Mentor references should be emailed to email@example.com as soon as possible.
- Contact your referee for the BA application and ensure that they are willing and able to submit their reference on the BA’s system by the application deadline (expected to be in October). One referee, usually the external examiner, is required. For guidance on the choice of referee see the FAQs available at http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships Your referee must write in English and must complete the online reference form, rather than submitting their own reference letter. In a recent change to the application process, the reference must be submitted online before the application can be submitted. (This referee does not need to supply a reference for the internal Faculty deadline.)
- The first deadline for the Faculty review stage has now passed but applications can still be considered, please prepare and submit the internal History Faculty BA Application form to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Your application will then be considered by a member of the Faculty’s review panel for this scheme and further guidance will be sent to you.