The History Faculty has more than 90 permanent academic staff. Of these, 15 are statutory Professors, or Readers, and a further 9 University Lecturers without college tutorial fellowships, whose teaching responsibilities are with the Faculty. The majority of permanent academic staff, however, are joint appointees whose teaching responsibilities encompass both the Faculty and the individual college of appointment. In most cases, information about joint appointees can also be found on college websites.
The Faculty also encompasses at any one time a number of historians employed by colleges – College Lecturers and short-term Junior Research Fellows – as well as those on fixed-term employment with the Faculty: Departmental Lecturers providing teaching for postholders on research leave, and research assistants on funded research projects. And its wider membership includes colleagues in a number of other faculties and departments across the University who work as historians or in closely cognate disciplines. The academic teaching and research staff listings available here reflect this wider Faculty constituency.
The majority of administrative staff are based at the Faculty building on George Street. However, the History of Art Department, including its administrative team, is separately housed at Littlegate House on St Ebbe’s, to the south of the city centre; and the Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine is based at 45-47 Banbury Road in north Oxford.
The Chair of the Faculty Board from 2012, is:
Professor Jane Humphries, BA, MA, PhD, FBA
Professor of Economic History and Fellow of All Souls College
Page last updated: 11/02/2013, at 14:02
There are a number of ways that you can contact us directly:
Faculty of History
Oxford OX1 2RL
Tel: +44 1865 615000
Fax: +44 1865 250704